Thunderbird WebExtension APIs¶
Thunderbird WebExtensions are very similar to those of Firefox. These documents assume you have some familiarity with building a WebExtension for Firefox. If not, it is highly recommended to begin by reading some of the MDN documentation on the subject.
The documents were generated automatically from the schema documents at mail/components/extensions/schemas.
In Thunderbird, all WebExtension API can be accessed through the browser.* namespace, as with Firefox, but also through the messenger.* namespace, which is a better fit for Thunderbird.
The following APIs are also included and work as they do in Firefox:
- identity Added in Thunderbird 78.0b2
Changes to APIs¶
Where To Get Help¶
- developer.thunderbird.net for information about building Thunderbird, and creating extensions.
- Add-ons message board for Thunderbird add-on developers to ask questions and share knowledge.
- Bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests.
- developer.mozilla.org for Firefox WebExtensions, on which Thunderbird’s are based.